Call to Chalk Artists
Prospectus: Chalk Artist Opportunity at The Fountains
Call to Chalk Artists
Blue Line Arts invites eligible chalk artists to apply for consideration to create temporary works of art using chalk on sidewalk space at The Fountains in Roseville as a part of the outdoor shopping mall’s First Friday event bringing Street Festival Performers to engage visitors and re-ignite community at this beautiful local commerce hub.
On June 4th, 2021, The Fountains will host their traditional First Friday event to kick off the summer, featuring musical performances and temporary art installations, including an interactive Kids Chalk Zone. Participating artists are welcome to solicit tips throughout the completion of their work. The area is open to the public from 6AM to 9PM.
Showcase Chalk Artists:
3 artists to be selected: $350 stipend each
• The selected Showcase Artists will each be responsible for creating a temporary artwork in equally-sized work space in the large median in the center of the fountains thoroughfare, which is roughly 50 yards long by 4ft wide. (Please see attached photographs) Division of spaces will be finalized after RFQ has closed. Artists should expect to activate at least 100 square feet for this activity.
• Artists will have from 6AM to 9PM to on June 4th to realize their designs. The main event period is from 6PM-9PM.
Kids Chalk Zone Lead Artist:
1 lead artist (or artist team if applying together) to be selected
The Kid’s chalk zone is a cement space adjacent to the live music stage to the right of Jack’s Urban Eats, roughly 12’x8’. We are looking for an artist to sketch an outline of a design, and encourage visiting youth to fill in the design or assist in the completion of the work.
• Those interested in applying as the Kids Chalk Zone Lead Artist should mark a selection in their application to indicate their interest.
• Priority will be given to applicants with prior experience in working with young children or teaching. Applicants should be enthusiastic, friendly and outgoing, willing to guide youth in artistic participation, and should allow for the final project results to reflect extensive youth participation.
• General operating hours of the Fountains are from 6AM-9PM, with peak hours expected from 6-9PM. Lead Artist is expected to be on site from 4:30 PM-9PM
• We encourage the artist to recruit an assistant if desired.
• Artist is expected to provide their own supplies and adequate supplies for youth participation
Artist (s) must be 18 years or older to apply. This call is open to all artists who legally reside and are eligible to work in the United States. Proof of residency/work permit documentation may be requested.
Event Date: June 4, 2021
Deadline to apply: May 28, 2021
Artist Notification: May 29, 2021
Please submit an application through the following link on the Blue Line Arts website under Artists/ Calls for Artists:
Please do not email application or any supporting documents to Blue Line Arts staff.
In the application portal, you will be asked to submit the following:
1. Basic Info: Name, phone number, email address, address, website, business/ artist social media handles.
2. Proposal: Sketch or digital rendering of proposed designs. Artist should submit a brief (200 words or less) statement about their proposed design. While there are no specific design concepts or themes being solicited for the project, successful proposals will do the following:
• Incorporate a thoughtful design concept that is appropriate for the site and surrounding area
• Is family-friendly, follows common-sense community content guidelines: does not contain obscenities or promote unlawful or harmful activities, is appropriate for the suburban area in which the mall is located, does not contain polarizing, political, or sensitive content.
• Activates as much physical space as possible given the constraints.
3. CV: Relevant experience as a professional artist, may include up to 3 professional references that can be contacted. Can include an artist statement or personal introduction. (CV is optional).
4. Images: Provide up to 10 images of previous relevant work. Priority will be given to applications that demonstrate the ability to achieve the vision of the proposed design.
Kids Chalk Zone
• Artists must be at site and begin work by 10AM on Friday, June 4th . Payment of the stipend will be issued once the work has been fully realized or when the artist has committed sufficient efforts towards completion at the determination of BLA staff.
• Artwork must be the original creation of the artist, no advertising or copyright images, or logos will be permitted.
• Artwork content should be suitable for a family-friendly environment. Major alterations of the proposed work on the day of the event may result in forfeiture of the honorarium.
• If artists use umbrellas or pop-ups, they must be properly weighted and placed in a location that does not impede other artists’ working space. BLA or Fountains Staff may instruct the removal of any structures if conditions are not being met.
• Blue Line Arts and The Fountains reserve the right to use images of the artwork in marketing materials.
• Solid chalk pastels are the only allowable material to be used at the venue.
• Prohibited materials include, but are not limited to: liquid pastels, acrylic paints, fixatives, oil paint, oil pastels, spray chalk. Please send an inquiry if there is any uncertainty about the use of materials.