Encaustic as an artistic medium is one of the oldest in the world, practiced as far back as the 5th century BC by Greek artists. Today, contemporary artists are pushing the boundaries of this historical medium and are creating exciting and masterful works far beyond encaustic’s original artistic origins. Blue Line Arts is excited to feature encaustic/wax artworks for our upcoming exhibition. All encaustic applications, including hot, cold, and mixed media, are encouraged to apply!
Blue Line Arts is proud to have the Sierra Wax Artists as the presenting sponsor for Hot & Cold. They have been a regional club for more than 10 years promoting the learning of encaustic and wax as an art medium. Organizers include: Charlotte Cooper (Founding member), Don Barnes (Founding member), Karen Brooks (Founding member), Kate Riley, Melanie Marchant Meschery, Joan Sexton, Linda Nunes, Suzanne Lewis, Kae Sable, Kathleen Moore, Dawn Blanchfield, Dianne Poinski, and Barbara Nilsson.
Juror: Nancy Youdelman
Youdelman has had a varied and interesting career: she worked as an artistic consultant on the 1975 Rolling Stones concert in Los Angeles, was a founding member of both Grandview Gallery at the historic Woman’s Building in Los Angeles and Double X, a feminist collective, and was a university art instructor for 20 years. She has been the recipient of numerous awards including grants from the Pollock/Krasner, the Adolph and Esther Gottlieb and the Tree of Life Foundations. Her extensive exhibition record includes many national and international exhibitions; her work is in many private and public collections including the Brooklyn Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
Application deadline: Online applications must be submitted by 5:00pm PST on December 23rd, 2022.
Show dates: February 18th – April 1st, 2023
Notifications: Results will be sent by 5pm PST on January 6th, 2023
Shipping deadline of work to Blue Line Arts: January 27th, 2023
Hand deliver work to Blue Line Arts: February 13th and 14th from 10am-3pm
Opening Reception: Saturday, March 18th, 2023 from 4-8pm
Pick up unsold work from Blue Line Gallery: April 2nd & 3rd, 2023 from 10am-3pm
Application requirements: You must be 18 years or older to apply. There is a non-refundable entry fee of $25, this is a flat fee for up to 10 images/artworks.
- Open to artists living in California
- All artwork must be original and completed within the last two years
- Artwork cannot have been previously exhibited at Blue Line Arts
- All 2-D works must be ready to hang
- Wire must be installed
- No sawtooth hangers
- All artwork must be for sale
- Accepted artwork that differs significantly from image in online submission will be disqualified
- No accepted entry may be withdrawn or sold outside of the exhibition prior to the closing date
- Blue Line Arts handles all sales transactions. Non-member artists receive a 50% commission from all gallery sales and members receive a 60% commission.
- Size limitations
- Art must be able to enter through the doors with a clearance of 94″h x 91″w
- Ceilings in the gallery are 10 feet high
- Nothing over 60 lbs will be accepted
- All artwork images must be renamed in the following format:
- The artist is responsible to pay for all shipping and should have a prepaid label from FedEx or UPS (No US Mail) for return of artwork.
Questions: If you have any questions about submissions, please contact Blue Line Arts staff during open hours at: (916) 783-4117 or email email@example.com