Lowbrow, or lowbrow art, describes an underground visual art movement that arose in the Los Angeles, California, area in the late 1970s. It is a populist art movement with cultural roots in underground comix, punk music, tiki culture, and hot-rod cultures of the street. It is also often known by the name pop surrealism. Lowbrow art often has a sense of humor – sometimes the humor is gleeful, sometimes impish, and sometimes it makes a sarcastic comment.
Exhibition Dates: March 27 – April 25, 2020
Deadline to enter: February 14, 2020
Artist Notification: February 20, 2020
Shipping deadline of work to Blue Line Arts: March 8, 2020
Hand deliver work to Blue Line Arts: March 22 or 23, from 10 am – 3 pm
Opening Reception: April 18, from 5 pm – 8 pm
Pick up unsold work from Blue Line Arts: April 26 and 27, 10 am – 3 pm
- Open to all artists.
- All artwork must be original and completed within the last two years.
- Artwork cannot have been previously exhibited at Blue Line Arts.
- All artwork must be for sale.
- Accepted artwork that differs significantly from image in online submission will be disqualified.
- No accepted entry may be withdrawn or sold outside of the exhibition prior to the closing date.
- All artwork must be ready to hang.
- No sawtooth hangers; artworks must have wire installed to hang.
- Pedestals or shelves are available for three-dimensional work.
Blue Line Arts handles all sales transactions. The artist agrees that the price submitted in this form will be the price that the work will be sold for and may not change hereafter. Please note, Non-members receive a 50% sales commission and current Artist Members receive a 60% sales commission.Shipping
The artist is responsible to pay for all shipping and should have a prepaid label from FedEx or UPS (No US Mail) for the return of artwork. Please mark the outside of your box with your last name in bold letters also please use blue painters tape when you wrap your artwork inside the box.
- Please refer to this link when packing your work. https://www.fedex.com/downloads/howtopack/HowToPack_EMEA_eng_final_Feb23_2010.pdf
Application Requirements: Applicants must apply using the form on the Blue Line Arts website, http://www.bluelinearts.org/call-to-artists. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
There is a $35 fee for non-members that covers one to three images. Members may apply for free.
Questions: If you have any questions about submissions, please contact Blue Line Arts staff during open hours at (916) 783-4117 or email email@example.com