Life in Ink: Contemporary Tattoo Culture
Humans have decorated their bodies with tattoos for thousands of years. The meanings of these tattoos vary greatly across cultures– displays of social rankings, punishment for criminals, expressions of spirituality, celebrating achievements in life and war, and simple statements of fashion. It is a form of expression that connects us across cultures, languages, and belief systems.
This exhibition is intended to showcase the infinite possibilities of tattoo art in all of its forms and styles. Express your individualism and creativity by translating body art to fine art. From flash sheets to fully-realized paintings, photographic documentation to three-dimensional representation, we want to see the unique ways in which you express your Life in Ink.
Exhibition Dates: March 27 – April 25, 2020
Deadline to enter: February 14, 2020
Artist Notification: February 20, 2020
Shipping deadline of work to Blue Line Arts: March 8, 2020
Hand deliver work to Blue Line Arts: March 22 or 23, from 10 am – 3 pm
Opening Reception: April 18, from 5 pm – 8 pm
Pick up unsold work from Blue Line Arts: April 26 and 27, from 10 am – 3 pm
- Open to all artists
- All 3-Dimensional work must be wall hung, no pedestal or floor pieces.
- All artwork must be original and completed within the last two years.
- Artwork cannot have been previously exhibited at Blue Line Arts.
- All 2-D and 3-D works must be ready to hang
- No sawtooth hangers; artworks must have wire installed to hang.
- All artwork must be for sale.
- Accepted artwork that differs significantly from image in online submission will be disqualified.
- No accepted entry may be withdrawn or sold outside of the exhibition prior to the closing date.
- Size Limitations
- No wider than 24” wide, height can be up to 8’ high.
Blue Line Arts handles all sales transactions. The artist agrees that the price submitted in this form will be the price that the work will be sold for and may not change hereafter. Please note, Non-members receive a 50% sales commission and current Artist Members receive a 60% sales commission.
The artist is responsible to pay for all shipping and should have a prepaid label from FedEx or UPS (No US Mail) for the return of artwork. Please mark the outside of your box with your last name in bold letters also please use blue painters tape when you wrap your artwork inside the box.
- Please refer to this link when packing your work. https://www.fedex.com/downloads/howtopack/HowToPack_EMEA_eng_final_Feb23_2010.pdf
Application Requirements: Applicants must apply using the form on the Blue Line Arts website, http://www.bluelinearts.org/call-to-artists. You must be 18 years or older to apply. There is a $35 fee for non-members, but members may apply for free.
Questions: If you have any questions about submissions, please contact Blue Line Arts staff during open hours at (916) 783-4117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org